Saturday, January 23, 2010

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!?!?!?

Dear Wilpons,

We (the fans) are starting to get REALLY frustrated. I can understand not wanting to spend the money to get John Lackey, that was a business decision. I had to be convinced by a friend and fellow Mets fan that letting Jason Marquis get away wasn't the worst thing in the world, but I've made my peace with that. Even when the Giants got Bengie Molina for less than $5M for ONE YEAR, I convinced myself it was best for the team. But why...why, why, why, why would you trade a decent relief pitcher for Gary Matthews Jr.?
When I first heard the Mets were involved in a trade for GMJ, I was THRILLED because I thought "we're trading Castillo for GMJ and then we're going to sign Hudson!" Then I heard that the trade did NOT involve Castillo, I thought "Okay well, at least it's GOT to be part of a three team deal because it can't be straight up Stokes for GMJ." We waited, and waited, and waited, and waited for the news to come out that this was something more than just a horrible trade, but at the end of the day there were millions of Mets fans staring at their computer screens or cell phones just muttering "Why?"
Why do we need Gary Matthews Jr.? He hasn't been the same player since 2006, and from all the reports I've read he's a royal P.I.T.A. in the clubhouse. And please, spare us all the garbage about Beltran getting surgery because a) he's only going to be out for 6 weeks (2 months tops) and b) we've still got Angel Pagan and Fernando Martinez. Do we REALLY need 3 center fielders to cover a span of 6 weeks? We're trying to be patient, we're trying to understand you're reasoning, but after the Bay signing Minaya said he was going to continue to work to improve the team, and trading Brian Stokes for GMJ is NOT improving the team.
I hope this is not the last move before the seasons starts...I really do.

Sincerely,
The Fans

0 comments: